Friday, May 14, 2010

Hotel Heathrow

Random musings from yesterday...
So many things to talk about today: First off, the Chicago flight went smoothly. Lots of reading, and not a ton of sleeping. Being 6'2" in coach isn't conducive to catching a lot of z's. I made it through customs, which was actually kind of intimidating. By the end of the process I was pretty sure that I was a danger to the crown. By the time I was officially in London the last tube had taken off for the night so I found a comfy(ish) position in the number three terminal. I had a hard time falling asleep, but got to talk with some really interesting people. A couple of fellow American backpackers from the U of Chicago. A Nigerian man who had me take his picture (he was fully dressed in a gray pin-striped suit with a black bowler), and a mentally ill (or drug addled) man who lay on the floor of the terminal singing Michael Jackson (quite well actually), and scaring some of the older folks with his hip thrusting moves.
Today I took the tube over to Archway (where karl goes to school). Unfortunately today is the day of track maintenance and I had to figure out how to catch a bypass bus. Fortunately, I'm a smart cookie, as you know, and was quickly able to pick up the language to make a seamless transition.
Finally, I was listening to the American Airlines radio while in a nostalgic mood, and came up with some songs that have defined my last year.
Rydeen-YMO. Made any average night into a great night.
Girls Just Want to Have Fun-Dancing with Leslie (tiki, basement, her birthday)
Maiden-Noah
JASON DERULO!-Luke and LJ (much to the annoyance of anyone associated with us)
Baby-Julia bumping this against my wishes (it didn't actually bother me that much)
"There's only one solution"- power hour crew
KE$HA/Bedrock- Smokey Mountain Crew. nuff said
Sorry this got so long. I've just been killing time at McDonald's. (Free Wi-Fi!!) and waiting for Karl to get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment