Wednesday, May 19, 2010

London (bridge, tower of, National Gallery etc.)

So... lots to talk about since my last post. I've covered a pretty big chunk of the classic "must-sees" in London. Saint Paul's Cathedral, Westminster Abbey, Tower of London, Tower bridge, Camden town, The National Gallery, Trafalgar Square, Picadilly Square, and the Tate Modern. This has kept me pretty busy over the last couple of days. There's plenty to say about all of this but I'm just going to hit upon the highlights of my touristy venture.

St. Paul's was absolutely remarkable. The comparison I made to Karl was that it was the Wisconsin capitol on steroids. There was a somewhat similar dome and it was four sided, but with a lot more gold, history, and japanese tourists. Walking through was absolutely remarkable. There was so much attention to detail in the minutely tiled floors and painted ceilings. My favorite part of the visit was the view of London from the absolute top of the structure. It was hard not to linger forever. An overwhelming amount to see, but at the same time it seemed to put this amazing city at the palm of one's hand.

The National Gallery was definitely a pleasant surprise. I'm not a huge art guy but I've definitely got a soft spot for aimlessly roaming an art museum. It was really cool to see a number of pieces I've only seen in books before. Including pieces by Michaelangelo, Da Vinci, Raphael, Monet, Van Gogh, Renoir... A leisurely day. One of my favorite parts was hearing one of the schoolchildren in a group ask the tour guide "why is that man eating her face" too cute.

Also, excitingly, I was asked for directions on the tube this morning. Apparently I look somewhat local. Of course the moment I open my mouth it becomes apparent I'm just another tourist. Though, I did know how to direct him. I felt great.

No comments:

Post a Comment